Monday, June 23, 2008

Roofing

Okay, so we had an intervention about how my parent's roof has been leaking. We think there is black mold in the laundry room where most of the leak is. So, we got together and made plans to help my dad redo his roof. The first day we took off all of the shingles. Well, I stepped on a nail so I ind of stopped working after that. At first I think Sterling was having fun. Kirk came down with Holden and Cabren the first weekend. Kris came over a little later in the day to pitch in too. They got quite a bit of work done but we ending up working on that stupid roof for like 3 weeks. It was a beautiful day and of course once we got all of the shingles off it started to rain. I mean, it was POURING rain. We had bucket and pans all over the back porch. It was dripping all over the washer and dryer. Good times! They kept going though. Kirk fell through the the sheet rock one day... well, one of his legs did. I think it's a good thing that they are done having kids after that one. Sterling fell through the siding on the edge of the roof. He was nice and bruised on one of his hips but he's pretty good. Kirk and Marnie came down another weekend with all the kids another weekend. I forget if it was the 2nd or 3rd weekend. They really did most of the work. Kirk and Marnie worked their buts off. Even little Kambrie put on a pair of gloves that were only about 12 sizes to big and helped us pick up shingles off of the front lawn. I think my dad was feeling all of his 62 years at the end of every day. I think it's done now. Next, we need to tear out all of the ruined sheet rock and help them fix the inside.
I think this picture can go along with Leslie's post about dirty boys. I couldn't believe how dirty my little guy got. He had to have rolled off the roof a couple times to get this way.

This is Sterling at the end of the first day. He was filthy. Nobody else was this dirty! I think he was just trying to look all rugged and manly. My dad cam down before everyone else and told me mom I wasn't going to be able get him clean for a week.




This was the first day. They were ripping the shingles off. Truth be told there wasn't much shingle left. They had pretty much crumbled away. We've got Holden in the blue shirt, Cabren in the yellow, Sterling in the white and Kirk and my dad are in gray down in the corner.










He didn't really need the tool belt he just wanted to be cool. He asked me if he looks sexy once he got the belt small enough to fit around his waist.














Sterling and Mooch. They were more of manual labor this day.





1 comment:

Beam Family said...

You don't truly become a man until you can grow a "real" goatee. That Shaggy, from Scooby Doo, like goatee does not put Sterling in the MAN category! We wished we would have been there to help out. Leslie loves to see me in my tool belt. It beats the chaps I wear naked to turn her on!! Thanks for the pictures and blog, its good to see pics of the fam so far away.

ps. Leslie agrees about boys and their magnetic attraction with dirt. They always seem to find each other.

Texas Beams'